Couple of sick girls...

Paul 1952

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Spokane Valley, WA
I'll even include a photo!

So, introductions... the red's left to right... Moe, Fred & Gladys.
I'm concerned with Moe and Gladys, both going on about 4 years old.

Moe's comb is really looking rough, getting a bit purplish with white tips, very poopy butt similar to Gladys'
and is not eating much. Moe generally fights for every bit, not so much now. Moe was like this maybe a month ago
so we started supplementing with some pro-biotics. Seemed to help, she even layed a few eggs but seems to have
relapsed over the last few days or so. Her comb looks a bit like frostbite but we've been pretty mild all winter and have
had a very nice spring so that's not making sense to me.

Gladys is eating okay more or less. Her issues are poopy butt and very puffy and lacking mobility from said puffy stance.
Her puffiness leads me to believe egg bound or something like that but... she's been this way for quite some time. Comes
and goes and she's not laying at all that I can see.

The black in the left side of the frame is either Meanie or Mynie. Eenie died about a month ago... showed absolutely no
sign of illness. Just dead in the coop one morning, no obvious indications of what the problem was. Just mention it as part
of this little history. Fred is fine... Fred could be a show chicken, pretty bird.

Going to be cleaning these girls up this weekend so looking for any and all advice I could get. Thanks in advance.
~ Paul

I've lately hit mine with everything if they're looking off, or sick, or skinny. My worry is always worms or entiritis. Do you worm these hens?

Started that this weekend... using Pig Swig to start, see where that goes. Gave the two girls in question a bath yesterday, got them cleaned up a bit. No visible bugs or mites, vents looked okay.
Gladys, the puffy one, seems pretty tight in the belly... she's at least a bit more active than Moe. Moe is quite light, not eating well or at all... been feeding her water from a syringe with the Pig Swig in it. I've seen on the forums here that Ivermectin? is a better way to go with the wormer thing... might give it a try after the Pig Swig runs it's course.
What are the symptoms of Entiritis?

How did the dosing the hens go for you using Pig Swig? My hens are 1yr / 4mo. I have switched from Scratch n Peck to a brand called Patriot Farm and Feed they have a FB page they are here in Wa. The hens don't seam to be as content on this new feed. I have gone through 3 25lb bags now. They have runnier poo eating this feed. I think it could just be deworming time.??

Back
Top Bottom