Scaly leg mites questions

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello! So I noticed my Buff Brahma hen has had slightly raised scales on her leg, but I can't tell if that is simply her feathered feet, or if there are mites underneath. Hopefully you can sort of see in these pictures, and if not I will get clearer ones tomorrow. Any thoughts on this? Should I just coat her feet in Vaseline just in case? And should the others be having this problem? I haven't noticed it with any other chicken, which is why I am questioning whether or not this is just a feathered feet thing
Just click to enlarge to actually see her feet up close (isn't she just adorable :) )

I'd have to see closer pics to be sure. But I am not seeing anything that really looks like scaly mite.

Here is her foot up close- any thoughts?

If the scales are really bad (which hers aren't it seems to me), they can take a long time to regain their flat and healthy appearance. The leg scales molt. SLM can lead to toe/foot amputations eventually if untreated and it can spread to the combs. So it is very good that you are trying to treat these.

I would treat the coop as well with some permethrin poultry dust and dust your chickens as well, retreating at 7 days just in case.

I also toss bedding and nesting materials when I dust.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom