Is this little baby sick?

davidhunt122

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
I'm a brand new owner and I am slightly concerned about this one chick in particular, she's a pullet. She has done some running around, she has eaten, drank water, but ever since I turned on the heat lamp and even some time after she has just slept, she hasn't pooped as far as I know as she doesn't have pasty butt. Is she just extremely tired or could something be wrong with her? She will sleep anywhere I put her, is this normal?

No, it's not normal. Your chick is ill. Beyond being able to see that, I cannot tell you what is wrong with it.

A big clue to what is wrong is that it hasn't pooped. It is possible this chick has not eaten enough to poop. Or if it is eating and not pooping, that would indicate the chick is constipated.

You need to observe its behavior, determine if it is or isn't eating, and anything else you might notice that would be a clue to what's wrong, and go post on the Emergencies forum for help.

Hi! Does she seem like her stomach/backside is somewhat having 'contractions' along with the other symptoms you said?? If so she's probably constipated.

I had a somewhat similar issue with one of my bantam chicks. She had a rather severe 'pasty butt' but even after I cleaned her up, all she would do was laze around and sleep. Similarly, anywhere I put her. She didn't fuss or move when I picked her up and carried her, and wouldn't eat or drink that much. In my chicks case, she was constipated. I would suggest making sure she is kept cleaned up on the backside, and try putting some sugar or olive/canola/coconut oil in the water that she drinks, which will give her some energy to move around and help her body digest food. Maybe provide her with some grit as well to help her food digest. You could also dab some oil on her vent to help what needs to come out, come out, if she's having trouble!

I did all of that and after an hour and a half of tending to her, she lived!

If things seem more severe though, she might have Cocci. You could get some Corid from the local tractor supply, I swear by it as of right now! It's even used as a preventative. Let me grab you the dosage info to help ya out!

Riiiight here!: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

I really hope I helped, keep us updated and I hope for the best with her!!!

Back
Top Bottom