watery eyes with bubbles red around eyes

Leucadia

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
Leucadia
I am new to raising chickens and recently introduced two ten week old chickens (Welsummer and Faverelle) to a group of five twelve week olds including three Rhode Island Reds and two white leghorns. I started to notice the group slowly pecking the Faverelle within the week starting April 8th as a means to prevent her from standing on the food bowl and bullying her. I then noticed within several days the Faverelle had a little scab on the top of her head near the comb and then redness around her right eye with decreased feathers. The eye is now watery and has bubbles (April17).

In reading the forums I am confused on whether this could be an eye infection or Mycoplasma. I have not noticed any of the chickens presenting with any of these symptoms including the Welsummer that was purchased with the Faverelle. I have since separated the Faverelle from the rest of the chickens to start the healing process and have applied neosporin to the red surrounding eye area.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on if they have experienced something similar and what they believe it might be. I also wanted to see if it is Mycoplasma and I get antibiotics for her can we still eat the eggs when it comes to the point that she starts producing.

Thank you very much for any advice or guidance! I have provided pictures from April 8 to the 17th.

Thank you very much. I am having fun learning about their personalities. It seems as if the white leghorns are skittish the reds are fearless and the welsummer is very friendly. I feel bad separating her but I want her to heal. Can you eat the eggs of a chicken with Mycoplasma?

A peck wound can cause the bubbles in the eye. Many people have MG positive flocks, and eat their eggs. I would get her tested if I really suspected MG. I have had many faverolles in a mixed flock, and they definitely are the lowest in the pecking order.

I have been using teramycin ointment on the eye and am seeing good results. The chicken wont be a producer of eggs for two months. Is there a time period in which I need to wait to eat the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom