Crop STILL Impacted

nikaku

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
Michigan
I have a 2 month old Isa Brown pullet with a badly impacted crop. It's been that way for over a month; I wasn't sure what the problem was at first, so I adopted a wait-and-see approach, not wanting to make it worse by applying the wrong treatment. Today I finally decided to do the olive oil/crop massage technique. It was mostly successful. I spent about 4 hours on it (with lots of breaks in between for the bird)...giving her oil, massaging the crop, gently squeezing it until she threw up some of the crop contents. I got the crop down to 1/3 of its original bloated size. Now I have her isolated and on water only for the night. My question is: there is still an impaction in there and I don't know what to do. I can keep oiling and hand-expressing it little by little, but it seems like it will wear her out. But I don't want to keep her off food and away from the coop for more than one day, either. If I put her back in the coop tomorrow, she'll start eating right away and add to the impaction. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom