Need advice about new chicks that have hatched, please read.

adeletxo

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
Hi,
I have 6 hens and 1 cockerel. One of my hens turned broody and laid her eggs etc did the 21 days but a couple of the other hens put some of there eggs in with hers. Unfortunately none of hers hatched (now would be day 30) but one of the ones she was sitting on that wasn't hers did hatch 3 days ago and she's a good mama hen to it, it's coming on great. But today another egg was in the process of hatching but became too weak, the broody left it - had left it nearly two hours and the egg was cold to touch. I got it in the house and I've managed to save the chick - it's now fully hatched out, it's chirping away fine although still a bit weak.
My question is since the mum hen left it do I keep looking after it or will I try and see if she will? Not sure what's best, it did go through some trauma trying to get out the egg, I have made a artificial brooder for it.

Last edited:
Try to get it to drink some water. Then tonight, after dark, put the chick under her with the other one. She should accept it just fine. Check back a couple times at 20 minute intervals to make sure it is still under her. Don't disturb her or the chick - just look around the coop with a flashlight to make sure it didn't run off. If you don't see it, rest assured that it is under her. Tomorrow she'll tend to it like the other.

That happens with staggered hatches. After a couple days she'll abandon the eggs to take care of the live chick.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice, I've been managing to feed it water. This is my first time allowing my hens to hatch eggs so just panicked a bit, will try to get her back under her mum. Does it have to be after dark? I posted that post during the night so it's morning now? Thanks x

The sooner the better because the chick is more likely to lose interest in a mother than the mother is likely to lose interest in a chick.
While you're waiting, get the chick to eat some starter food.

The baby chick took fine to it's mum, went and nested under her. Did it yesterday evening. Will keep checking throughout today on them

Yeah not had any problems so far, the hen seems to be a good mummy. She sat on it straight away and the chick nested in, was lovely to watch! So glad it seems to be going well! Thank you again for your advice

Back
Top Bottom