5 day old lavender struggling to balance

Blackg

Hatching
Apr 19, 2015
Hi, looking for some advise. Me and my partner have never owned chickens b4 but have always wanted to do yesterday we decided to start. We found a breeder who was very helpful and supplied is with a full starter kit to get the chicks on the way. Little blossom this morning we have noticed will only elk backwards and is very unsteady on her feet a few times she has fallen on her back and one of the times she just refused to get bk up and just lied there. She is still drinking eating and going to the toilet. Thanks for reading any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Greg

She's either sick or having problems getting enough to eat to give her strength. She needs individual care.

Begin by wetting her feed. A lot of the time, when you see a chick like this, it's having trouble getting enough to eat because it can't eat the dry crumbles. I would moisten the crumbles for all the chicks and let them all eat it together. It will inspire the chick to eat.

In addition, got some Poultry Nutri-drench and give this chick drops alongside her beak to get them into her. If that doesn't work, sprinkle it on her food.

If you can't get her to eat the crumbles, get some tofu, crumble it up and sprinkle the Nutri-drench over it. Unless she's sick, that ought to turn the tide.

Thank you for advise wetted sum off her food and she went mad for it eating it off the end of my finger :) hopefully this will do the trick. Also what would u recommend for bedding as the lady said newspaper but on further reading this can cause problems thanks

I put grippy shelf liner on top of newspaper for about 2 weeks. I precut the pieces to fit my brooders. They were washable & reusable. I will use them next year. At about 2 weeks I started using pine shavings.

Puppy training pads work super, and the chicks can't eat them like they do paper towels. Any sort of non-slippery surface will do.

I've had absolutely no problems using pine shavings after the second day.

Glad the chick took to the moistened crumbles. If it doesn't put on weight and grow, you need to get that Nutri-drench for it.

Back
Top Bottom