Late Hatches

dreamer5577

Songster
10 Years
May 16, 2011
Pennsylvania
On day 18 when I went into lockdown, some eggs seemed to be developing on time and others seemed a day or so behind. I wasn't too "worried" about them hatching "on time". On day 20 I saw rocking eggs, and on day 21 heard peeping. Yesterday was day 23 and I had my first two hatch. I left them in a while and they dried so I decided to take them out of the incubator. I have had no further pips, but I still hear a bunch chirping in there eggs still. No pips. I went in the bator this morning and moved the eggs back to their places after being knocked all over the place by the little chicks.

I understand that the hatch was late, probably because of low temperatures. I didn't think they were THAT low though. I even had FOUR (calibrated) thermometers in there just in case. Or it could have been hot/cold spots in the incubator.

ANYWAY, I plan on waiting a few more days, but how long do you think I should drag this out? I don't want to unnecessarily harm them or speed it up. I want nature to take its course! I just don't really know how long will be too long?

I always leave mine in a week longer than Im supposed to just in case there are late hatches. In your case Id wait about a week and a half or so.

On day 18 when I went into lockdown, some eggs seemed to be developing on time and others seemed a day or so behind. I wasn't too "worried" about them hatching "on time". On day 20 I saw rocking eggs, and on day 21 heard peeping. Yesterday was day 23 and I had my first two hatch. I left them in a while and they dried so I decided to take them out of the incubator. I have had no further pips, but I still hear a bunch chirping in there eggs still. No pips. I went in the bator this morning and moved the eggs back to their places after being knocked all over the place by the little chicks.

I understand that the hatch was late, probably because of low temperatures. I didn't think they were THAT low though. I even had FOUR (calibrated) thermometers in there just in case. Or it could have been hot/cold spots in the incubator.

ANYWAY, I plan on waiting a few more days, but how long do you think I should drag this out? I don't want to unnecessarily harm them or speed it up. I want nature to take its course! I just don't really know how long will be too long?
As long as there are signs of life I'd give them a chance. I have to be honest and say though, after day 25, I don't hold out too much hope. Not that it can't happen. The probability of getting a healthy chick that survives after that, is just low. My day 24 hatcher, (whom I though was normal and healthy) started showing signs of problems due to developmental delays as he grew and got (physically) bigger. He's my baby, but I can see the effects of the delayed developement. I also had a day 25 hatcher from that hatch (my first hatch was not a good one-bad thermometer) but he didn't make it 24 hours. He was weak from the start. With having two hatchers I would candle 48 hours after the first one hatched to see if there is any signs of life. It's been my experience that what is going to hatch usually hatches w/in 48 hours of the first hatcher. If there are no signs of life at the end of day 25, I would proceed with eggtopsy starting in the air cell to check for movement and then moving to a full eggtopsy. That's my opinion.

As long as there are signs of life I'd give them a chance. I have to be honest and say though, after day 25, I don't hold out too much hope. Not that it can't happen. The probability of getting a healthy chick that survives after that, is just low. My day 24 hatcher, (whom I though was normal and healthy) started showing signs of problems due to developmental delays as he grew and got (physically) bigger. He's my baby, but I can see the effects of the delayed developement. I also had a day 25 hatcher from that hatch (my first hatch was not a good one-bad thermometer) but he didn't make it 24 hours. He was weak from the start. With having two hatchers I would candle 48 hours after the first one hatched to see if there is any signs of life. It's been my experience that what is going to hatch usually hatches w/in 48 hours of the first hatcher. If there are no signs of life at the end of day 25, I would proceed with eggtopsy starting in  the air cell to check for movement and then moving to a full eggtopsy. That's my opinion.

That's what I was afraid of. These three that I have seen normal, but I still worry about future problems due to slow development. I will candle the rest tonight. I hear peeping now ( in the remaining eggs ) so my heart is heavy with worry and just plain sadness. =/ Thank you for the information.

That's what I was afraid of. These three that I have seen normal, but I still worry about future problems due to slow development. I will candle the rest tonight. I hear peeping now ( in the remaining eggs ) so my heart is heavy with worry and just plain sadness. =/ Thank you for the information.
fl.gif
I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom