How long until I see the external pip after chirping?

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
This is our first time hatching and it's day 21. We have a still air incubator and up until yesterday, the temp has been at 101 and humidity since Thursday has been a constant 60. Yesterday, our temp dropped though to 97 and I'm worried it is too low. I'm afraid to increase it as I don't have a digital gauge on the outside, just a knob. Our humidity also dropped to a little below 60.

Last night around midnight, I started hearing chirping which sounded like it was coming from one egg at least. Then I heard scratching. It has now been 8 and a half hours since then and I don't see a pip yet. How long should I wait? I'm not totally sure which egg it is since we have six but I don't want it suffocating because it can't get out. Please help on these issues.

This is our first time hatching and it's day 21. We have a still air incubator and up until yesterday, the temp has been at 101 and humidity since Thursday has been a constant 60. Yesterday, our temp dropped though to 97 and I'm worried it is too low. I'm afraid to increase it as I don't have a digital gauge on the outside, just a knob. Our humidity also dropped to a little below 60.

Last night around midnight, I started hearing chirping which sounded like it was coming from one egg at least. Then I heard scratching. It has now been 8 and a half hours since then and I don't see a pip yet. How long should I wait? I'm not totally sure which egg it is since we have six but I don't want it suffocating because it can't get out. Please help on these issues.
Your chick won't suffocate because it uses the air cell to breath. That's when you start to hear it peeping. Also, since the temperature and humidity dropped, development might have ceased temporarily. Just sit tight, make sure the temp is 100 degrees, the humidity is 60%, and don't open the incubator or disturb the eggs.

It shouldn't be very long, it just has to do with temperature. Chicks hatch earlier or later depending on if the conditions rose or dropped. I think your eggs will be all right.

Good luck!

At day 20/21 the chick is producing a good share of it's own body heat, so the dip, while not ideal at that level shouldn't be detrimental. (Though I would adjust if possible to get it back up where it belongs.) Some hatchers actual drop their temp a degree or so at hatch time. It can take a whole day after hearing an internal pipper peeping to actually seeing the external pip. (And it can take whole day after the external pip to see the chick zip and actually hatch.) The best thing you can do at this point is let them be to do their job.

You can wet a sponge to place in the bator to help get your humidity up. The actual recommended humidity for hatch is 65% (some hands off hatchers may be able to get away with slightly lower). I use 70-75%. (I'm not hands off
wink.png
).

Good luck on the hatch and I hope you get to see an external pip here soon!

Back
Top Bottom