24/7 Broody but won't stop!

Seachickens13

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Hey, I don't have much experience with Broody hens so I need some advice. I have a Barred Rock who is, I think, quite low down in the pecking order. She has started to sit in the nesting boxes all day, every day, 'adopting' eggs from other chooks and making squeaky noises when I try to move her. The only time she moves is in the morning when I feed my flock. She is quite old and doesn't lay very often. What can I do?

If you are interested in increasing your flock and letting her fulfill her life's mission, get her some hatching eggs, and a safe place to sit on them. If she doesn't lay much anyhow, you won't be losing much egg production.

Last edited:
No, my parents won't let me increase the flock (yet!!) but she sits on about 5 eggs other chickens have laid so I can't collect them, and when I'm away, she gets off and my small WL eats the eggs. . . But I suppose if she does stay on them it will protect them! What should I do?

Why can't you collect them? Just reach under her and pull them out. If she's a biter, wear some gloves. And, you might consider doing something about that egg eating WL. Once that habit starts, it can be difficult to break and the other birds might follow her lead...

Why can't you collect them? Just reach under her and pull them out. If she's a biter, wear some gloves. And, you might consider doing something about that egg eating WL. Once that habit starts, it can be difficult to break and the other birds might follow her lead...

Apparently, that stresses them out. I try to take out any eggs I see and I also put in rubber eggs to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom