"The Rest of the Story"

Peeps61

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
NW Florida
Sometime last summer, I had a RIR hen that was a renegade and decided she did not want to sleep in the coop with the others. She would go roost in the Azalea bushes out front, then join the flock during the day. Well, one Saturday afternoon, my parents came to visit and stayed until around 10:00 PM. I went out and locked my chickens up in the coop as usual and thought nothing about it until the next day when "Miss Priss" was missing. Not too long after that, my mom called as asked if I was missing a red hen? Yes! I was missing a red hen. She told me that when they left for church that morning, that a red hen like one of mine was in their front yard (this is in residential Pensacola). She ran up to them as if looking for food, then wandered away down the street. I told my mom to catch her if she saw her again and I'd come and get her. Apparently, she had hitched a ride to their house in the back of my dad's truck! Well, they never saw her again. I've always wondered what happened to that bird, and now I know! The story has a happy ending. Here's a FaceBook message I got from my Mom last night:

I found out what happened to Henrietta, or whatever your hen's name was who hitched a ride home with us. A couple down at the end of the street had bought a chicken coup but hadn't put it together yet. One day they came home and saw a red hen in their yard. She took that as a sign from God that she really was supposed to have chickens. The hen's name is Ruby now and she has a good home with other chickens now also.

So, now you know "the rest of the story" too! I'm glad she's OK. I bet she is ruling the roost in her new home! It's not that often that we find out what has happened to our bird, so I'm glad that I now know.

You are right! Of all the bad things that could have happened to her, and she lucks out with a new home and flock - in the city of all places! Kind of like those commercials with the chickens in them.

Back
Top Bottom