Big eggs

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
Tonight my BBB yearling hen laid an egg that set a new coop record of 132.37G, single yolk. Her typical egg is 90 grams.

I am torn on whether to incubate it. I haven't had much success in incubating large chicken eggs due to excess moisture in the shell. I might have to wash the bloom off just to get it to lose enough moisture.

Monster size Broad Breasted Bronze egg Normal Narragansett egg

Last edited:
I have tried a couple times to incubate large eggs and never had success.
But that doesn't mean I won't try again.

It was time to turn the big egg (152g). Here is what happens when I put it in the turner:

It falls out when the turner turns, so I have it on the wire floor next to the turner.

It's sitting between a EE green egg and a normal 72g Narragansett egg for comparison. You may note another of her big eggs is in the turner, but "only" 104 g.

Day 17 for the 152g egg. While I could never clearly see two embryos, the contents of the egg are nearly all dark, in contrast with some other very large (100g+) eggs that have a normal appearance of part albumen, part embryo. So I think there are viable twins at this point!

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about twins in there but that makes sense. Glad that are still viable and I hope they hatch. That one egg makes almost 5 of my current bantam eggs lol

Handling that big egg s odd,too. It feels like a dozen eggs instead of one. I have a bunch of bantam eggs hatching in the next day or so and the size difference is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom