Chicks habitat temperature falls 4-10 degree at night

Spicy Amy

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hello!
Super glad that resources like this exists for raising backyard chicken! I have week old baby chicks and am constantly worried about their temperature. I wake up 2-3 times a night to check their thermometer and it drops down to 80-86 at night and I'm worried I'm negatively affecting their development. They are never huddled or shivering, but am I hurting my chicks, or are they ok to be slightly cooler at night? My pet store said to keep it at 90. :-/
Thanks!

I know you keep chicks at 95* the first week and lower it each week after 5*. I don't think 4* will hurt, but if you are trying to keep them in a unheated room/ Barn, that will be your temperature swing.

Last edited:
I can't give you a definitive answer since this is my first season with chickens, but I just raised my first batch of chicks and I agonized over the temperature the whole time - I think more than necessary. I had them in a place where it was really difficult to keep temperatures constant and things got chillier than recommended at night. Mine were fine. They are now healthy and happy and enjoying the outdoors.

Another factor is how many chicks you have - if they can sit with several together, they can keep each other warm more easily. I had 22. Gave 6 away so now I have 16.

As I was told a million times probably on this message board, the thermometer may not even be that accurate. The best indicator is their behavior - huddled tight, right under the light-Too Chilly. Dispersed to the edges? Too hot. Also, I have been told excess heat is more dangerous than excess cold. If they are eating and drinking well that is a good sign, since I believe cold chicks stop eating.

Also, my week old chicks survived a power outage in February when temps were well below freezing. We brought them inside by the fire, our only heat source, for half the night. They are hardier than they look.

Good luck!

I kept mine in a spare bathroom I didn't like leaving the heat light on when we wasn't home so I cut it off the temperature was 75 in the house and they did just fine

Back
Top Bottom