Chick will not grow

ekshelly89

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
We are new to raising chicks we recently bought 5 chicks at 3 weeks old. They are about 9 weeks now and one chick will not grow. She runs eats and drinks well but is no where near the size of the others - all different breeds. Please help

Since you said they are all different breeds, I would say she is a smaller breed. I have 5 different breeds right now. Did more research on the tiny guys and found out that they could take up to 3 yrs to reach adulthood. At 4 weeks they are smaller than the 3 wk old cochins, and most of them have been slow to feather, but they all appear healthy. My tiny ones are Cubalayas, they are a standard breed not bantam. Some of the standard breeds can be pretty small though. I think max weight for them is 4 lbs.

She's feathering well. You might take a closer pic of just her, and post it in the "What breed is this" section. As long as she's acting normal, I guess I'd just scratch my head, and say, Huh?

No worries could just be a smaller breed. I have a bantam in my flock that looks like a sparrow in comparisons to the others. she hasn't grown much since we got her but she is otherwise healthy. I wouldn't worry to much as you said she is eating, drinking etc. she is might just be small.

3 weeks and few days later and she has yet to grow..
I have one like that now too. The kids picked out 2 Cochins - a black and a silver laced - along with a few other chicks. All came in the same hatchery shipment, all were the same size when we brought them home, none are bantams. Yet the silver laced is 1/3 the size of the others and still is not feathered out. She eats and drinks fine. There isn't much we can do about it other than wait and see what happens.

Here she is next to the other Cochin and a brown Leghorn. They are all the same age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom