Allow Female Gosling to "mother" chicks?

BriMPell

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Pennsylvania
Okay, I am new to geese, and I picked up a pair of American Buff Geese goslings. I had them in the same brooder with some chicks in my sunroom, but tonight, I picked up some Pekin and Swedish ducks and put the geese with them instead. Well, now the male goose is attacking the poor geese (they are now all running away and cowering), and the female goose is "crying" and looking for her "babies" (the chicks).
I am planning on getting a pair of Tufted Roman Geese tomorrow, will that level things out, or make it worse? Should I allow the geese to be back with the chicks (I don't want to get the chicks brooder all wet and nasty)?
I'm also getting some turkeys haha Help! What do I do?

Okay, I am new to geese, and I picked up a pair of American Buff Geese goslings. I had them in the same brooder with some chicks in my sunroom, but tonight, I picked up some Pekin and Swedish ducks and put the geese with them instead. Well, now the male goose is attacking the poor geese (they are now all running away and cowering), and the female goose is "crying" and looking for her "babies" (the chicks).
I am planning on getting a pair of Tufted Roman Geese tomorrow, will that level things out, or make it worse? Should I allow the geese to be back with the chicks (I don't want to get the chicks brooder all wet and nasty)?

You may need to think about the decisions you are making.

You will need to keep all of the groups separate until they get closer to adulthood and can defend themselves. I would also keep the roman geese away from the others until they are the same size. Geese are bullys and your ducks will grow a lot faster than your chicks.

Well, now the male goose is attacking the poor geese (they are now all running away and cowering), and the female goose is "crying" and looking for her "babies" (the chicks).
I'm guessing it's a typo and that the male gosling is attacking the poor ducklings?

To him, the ducklings are potentially dangerous alien intruders. If he's not crying for the chickens, he most likely bonded with the other gosling and feels safe(r) as long as she's around.

Also, as long as your geese are less than at least three months old, they do not possess any parental instincts. Your female gosling obviously bonded with the chickens and looks for them for safety. She either perceives them as siblings or parents.

In my opinion, you did right by removing the chickens. Goslings and chickens have very different needs as they grow, and the chickens would must likely suffer if they'd stayed with the goslings.

If I were you, I'd also remove the ducklings and keep the four different kinds of poultry in four separate brooders. One for chicks, one for geese, one for ducks, and one for turkeys. They all have different needs, different languages, and different growth rates. If you separate them, the risk of harm, injury, and possible deaths will be reduced greatly.

Thank you for the responses- I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me some insight. I am new to waterfowl, but not chickens. I am a little taken back by the somewhat condescending remarks. I put a post out in order to receive advice, not snarky remarks. I understand that I may be a little over my head to some extent, but everyone starts somewhere and I am just beginning and seeking some advice from those that have been in my position at some point. I apologize for the defensive response, it is just hard to determine what is tactless attacks and what is meant to be helpful.

I did not mistype: the male Gosling was acting aggressive toward the new ducks, but just the Pekins, not the Sweds. They seem to have calmed down a bit over the night, but, they all still seem a bit unsettled.
I will set up different brooder for each group: ducks, turkeys, chicks, goslings.
I was just under the impression that if I did not allow them to interact while young, then they will most definitely not get along in adulthood.
I plan on putting the waterfowl together in one building by the stream when they are ready, hence the reason for the dire need for them to get along (they will also all be freeranging together as well). I was going to ask when to introduce them to water, each other, outside, etc. but now I'm apprehensive about doing so-what a shame, I thought that is what this site was all about.

If I came across as condescending I didn't mean to. Everyone will eventually get along. Introduce everyone gradually when they get a little older. We set up a small fenced in area in the yard then put them together for short periods of time. That way they can get to know each other while you are there to referee if things get out of hand. We even put out a water pan for them to swim in. The biggest problem keeping them together when they are young is their different growth rates. Ducks grow much faster than chickens and geese grow even faster. When everyone is older size won't be as much of an issue and everyone will know their place in the flock. After a couple of weeks they can go outside for short periods of time as long as it is not too cold and windy. When my geese were raising their own they goslings started following them around on the second or third day. Granted it was summer and the temps were warmer. Ours were introduced to water when they were 2 or 3 weeks old. WE put a black plastic watering pan in the fenced area for them. Just limit the access at first so they don't get chilled. Once they were feathered out they graduated to the swimmy pool.

Back
Top Bottom