new to raising chickens and ducks

Sandykbo

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Brant, Michigan
We just got our chicks and ducklings 1 week ago. The preparing was not as well planned, as I wanted, husband jumped right in. So now I have them in my back bathroom, turned colder, so the barn plan is on hold. In the process of making a coop, with Cliff working lots of overtime, it is going slow. Project needs a kick in the butt,

with our new chicks roosting on a yard stick, slid through their box. The ducklings are another challenge, we have a large pond, for the future, but now they need a bigger box, they are good watch dogs though, they got very loud when one of the chicks decided to perch on top of the box, now have a dish towel covering the space. We have a Chocolate lab, and he is big brother, checking them out, we watch him carefully, but he seem OK with his new friends. hope it all goes well.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Cute babies! They are very quickly going to outgrow these boxes, so you need to start making more preparations soon. Generally 1/2 to 1 square foot per bird in the brooder.

You can also let the ducks swim in your bathtub. LOL Crazy yes, but ducks do need water to keep their nostrils clean to breath. You might want to stop by our Ducks section for more help with your ducklings...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your new flocks! Feel free to ask questions around the forums and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom