New at raising chickens...

Luckychick82

Hatching
Apr 24, 2015
Hi, everyone I am new to this hobby. My son zack is 10 and he really wanted to get some chickens. And I hrought it would be great for us to learn something new together and give him some responsibility. And how to care for and love chickens. We just rushed into it so we don't have much for the we got everything we need for them to start. But I don't got a Barn or chicken pen yet to put them in. What do we need to do and what do we need to get for them.we have 2 bluff orblington.(I think I spelled that right) And I think they are 4 to 8 weeks. where we got them they didn't tell us how old they was.

Welcome to the chicken club! You have 2 Buff Orphingtons, which are great choices and very docile birds. At 4-8 weeks you are going to want to keep them in a brooder (we use a dog crate) with chick grower food, and water. It may not be a bad idea to buy a vitamin or electrolyte supplement as well to add to their water. We are also huge fans of diatamaceious earth, a powder that can be put on their food and sprinkled in the coop to help with worms, mites, and a bunch of other things. Depending how old they are, if they are outside, they may need a heat lamp. If you post pictures, we can probably help you closer identify the age and tell you what to expect next! :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of information there that will keep you from making beginners' mistakes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Buff Orpingtons.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Buff Orps are very pretty, docile, and somewhat prone to go broody; sit on fertile eggs and hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom