Help please, is this angel wing?

jessand2kevs

Chirping
Mar 26, 2015

This is my 5.5 week old duckling, it looks like the wing is turning in towards the body, also she cannot stretch it.

I can't tell from those photos, they're awfully dark and grainy...any chance you can upload a couple more?

Either way, if she can't stretch her wing, then there's definitely a problem, whether it's angel wing or not. If her wingtip is slipping downwards and she has a hard time holding it in place then that's usually the first sign of AW. If the pinfeathers are angled away from the body, instead of laying flat against it, then it's definitely time to wrap that wing up!

Last edited:
Doesn't look like angel wing to me, either. They typically stick out away from the body for angel wing. Is that joint swollen, though? Does it look and feel the same as the other wing? Does she only have trouble with this wing and not the other? She may have injured herself somewhere if she isn't able to extend the wing.

Doesn't look like angel wing to me, either. They typically stick out away from the body for angel wing. Is that joint swollen, though? Does it look and feel the same as the other wing? Does she only have trouble with this wing and not the other? She may have injured herself somewhere if she isn't able to extend the wing.

That's what I'm concerned about, too. If it was angel wing, she should still be able to extend the wings, just not fold them properly. Does she yelp when you try to touch it? I'm worried that she hurt herself or worse, could have an infection or abscess in the joint!

@amiga I will try to today once I can get her out side in a more open area.

Amykins and orca5094 it is only the one wing not both, the joint does not seem swollen. I will try to get better photos once she is out side in her pen.

@Amiga
these are best pictures that i could get of her. the top one shows the wing the i am questioning it looks droopy and the pin feathers point in. the bottom one shows her good wing. while i was out with her in the pen she did try to stretch it, she can move the wing at the shoulder joint but the one down from that seems to be loose when i try to manipulate it. Should I call my vet just to be sure that is nothing more serious?

@Amiga
these are best pictures that i could get of her. the top one shows the wing the i am questioning it looks droopy and the pin feathers point in. the bottom one shows her good wing. while i was out with her in the pen she did try to stretch it, she can move the wing at the shoulder joint but the one down from that seems to be loose when i try to manipulate it. Should I call my vet just to be sure that is nothing more serious?

Hmmmm, it doesn't look like AW but the way she's holding it isn't normal. If the joint feels loose when you palpitate it, and she either appears to be in pain or doesn't seem to be able to feel it at all, then yeah, I think a vet visit is in order. She may need an xray, some painkillers, or just needs to have it set and wrapped by a professional. Poor birdie!

For reference, this is what AW typically looks like, the wing pivots outward and the feathers stick out perpendicular to the body:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom