Ringneck Doves

gottomatoes

Hatching
7 Years
May 23, 2012
I have a pair of Ringneck Doves living in my backyard. I'm assuming they must be someones lost pets? I have a large outside aviary but I don''t know how to catch them? Or if I should? I have seed and water available at all times. Also, I was thinking about putting up a large birdhouse for protection or to nest in as it is springtime. Any thoughts?

They may be wild ones... in many places escaped ring necks survive and breed and establish wild populations.

If they are wild it would be mean to catch them and cage them. If they are doing OK free then why not leave them be? They can still be 'pets'.. you can keep putting out seed and water for them.. if you feed then crushed peanuts they will get very tame in time. Its much nicer seeing them happy and free... and also means you don't have to clean out the cages and make extra work for yourself too!

If you would like some ring necks for you aviary then just buy some... they are very inexpensive and sometimes free from a rescue place.

Also what birds do you already have in your aviary? Ring neck doves can not live with parakeets, parrots or lovebirds... because these birds attack the ring necks feet and bully them.. which will cause them injuries like missing toes or even feet!

Ring neck doves don't usually nest in a bird house... they prefer an open basket or a fork in a tree branches. You can put up a few small wicker baskets with some dry grass in them high up in shrubs or trees.. out of reach of cats.

Back
Top Bottom