Help, gosling won't stand

andrea1215

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2015
Our almost three week old American Buff gander gosling won't stand up. He was acting fine yesterday, but when we woke up this morning, he wouldn't stand. He is inside our house in a brooder, so I don't see how he could injure himself. Any ideas???

He is drinking, not eating much, he is only laying down, he won't stand at all. He has been laying down like this all morning long.

We took him out of the brooder and put him in a storage tote by himself. He has food, water and an Eco Glow.

Have you given Niacin supplements?

Is the leg warm to the touch?

Have you felt the leg for anything out of the ordinary?

We have been putting Brewer's yeast in their food. His legs temp feels normal and nothing looks or feels wrong. He is being raised with ten ducklings and another buff gosling and all the others are acting ok.

Hi Andrea,
I am far from a pro, but Sugar, my white Chinese gosling was acting identically. I went to our local feed store and asked what I could do for her. Really, I thought she would die. They told me to buy general water electrolytes. Her condition improved in a day and a half.
I also had to wash her vent because she wasn't standing or moving To defficate. I hope your little guy improves.

He is still unable to stand today, but he seems to be eating and drinking alright. We have several things, so really hoping for improvement.

We took Billy Bob to the vet today, she said it was neurological. She said there isn't any hope for improvement, so they put him to sleep :(

Neurotic. What a shame. Two of my geese acted this way after their crop was blocked. I wasn't giving them enough grit so the grass they were eating wasn't being digested, the crop filled up with gas. Once they get to that stage it's right to put them down, the treatment usually kills them anyways. At least that's what my vet told me. I took the remaining goose off of grass and she got better within a day or two. Such a shame. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom