Free Ranging with a Dachshund

Kris64

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Black Mountain, NC
The hens love to free range and hang out in the bushes, but my dog really really wants to eat them. I've attempted to train him, but his breed was bred for hunting small animals. I've tried having them take turns in the yard, but Pippin, the dog, wines constantly when he can't roam the yard. The hens do have a large fenced space, but they prefer the yard--who wouldn't?

Has anyone tried a muzzle for their dog to keep the chickens safe and yet in the same space?

He'll be able to do great harm to the birds even with a basket muzzle on, if he's really motivated. Serious training, and secure fencing are the answers here. Either have totally separate areas, as I do, or different times for each to be out there. Plan to train your next puppy from day one how to behave! Mary

You can train even the Daschund despite its breeding. During course of training effort you may need to find the dog a new past time. During intermediate stages you may need to upgrade fencing for birds and may need to do so for predators not your dog.

I have a lab x border collie who is 9 months old and she wouldn't dream of touching a chicken...well. I imagine she dreams about it, but she KNOWS better. Neither breed is generally recommended around chickens. Labradors retrieve birds! I just made a point to have her around the chickens, controlled and on leash, as much as possible until I felt restraint/correction weren't really needed anymore. I honestly believe that she eventually got bored with them. Now she just thinks they are walking treat dispensers that make a funny noise when you stick your nose in their butts.

Back
Top Bottom