So I ended up with a rooster.. Now what?

kdolly87

Songster
5 Years
Dec 22, 2014
Dalton Ga

So this is Dolly. Name change coming soon. It's a rooster. And coincidentally one of the sweetest chickens I have. So I'm keeping him! I've looked at the no crow collar. Is that my only option to stop the crowing? Is there a chance that he won't ever crow?

He's 3rd in line in the pecking order.. Out of four lol! He's extremely docile and was even picked on a lot by some other bully roosters we had. Those are long gone now.

What have y'all had success with as far as noise control?

So this is Dolly. Name change coming soon. It's a rooster. And coincidentally one of the sweetest chickens I have. So I'm keeping him! I've looked at the no crow collar. Is that my only option to stop the crowing? Is there a chance that he won't ever crow?

He's 3rd in line in the pecking order.. Out of four lol! He's extremely docile and was even picked on a lot by some other bully roosters we had. Those are long gone now.

What have y'all had success with as far as noise control?

I saw you on the Is this a rooster thread, sorry it turned out to be a roo. :/

I don't know where you live but if you are allowed roosters I would speak to the neighbours and preempt the fact you have a roo, some rooster never crow but it is rare. No crow rooster work too, if you are willing to go the extra mile you can make a rooster box for him to sleep in at night, I would pm Bens hens.

Hope that helps :)

I saw you on the Is this a rooster thread, sorry it turned out to be a roo. :/

I don't know where you live but if you are allowed roosters I would speak to the neighbours and preempt the fact you have a roo, some rooster never crow but it is rare. No crow rooster work too, if you are willing to go the extra mile you can make a rooster box for him to sleep in at night, I would pm Bens hens.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you!! Yes I do live in the city. In an apartment complex. I may fix him up in a kennel at night real cozy so he doesn't get too mad at me lol! I'm gonna be ordering the no crow collar as well for during the day. This one is my 2 year olds baby! I can't get rid of him.

The principle behind the rooster box is its super sound insulated and doesn't let light in, so the roo won't wake up early and start crowing and if it does it should be muffled. :) You can adapt anything into one if you want to give it a go.

The principle behind the rooster box is its super sound insulated and doesn't let light in, so the roo won't wake up early and start crowing and if it does it should be muffled. :) You can adapt anything into one if you want to give it a go.

Yes!! What I'm thinking is get a kennel and put a thick blanket over it and put some nice soft shavings in there. And put that in my downstairs bathroom which is away from the bedrooms and inbetween a few closets and such. Water heater too. And I can keep that room completely dark. I think this is the ticket!! :D

Yes!! What I'm thinking is get a kennel and put a thick blanket over it and put some nice soft shavings in there. And put that in my downstairs bathroom which is away from the bedrooms and inbetween a few closets and such. Water heater too. And I can keep that room completely dark. I think this is the ticket!! :D

Let's hope! :fl

Back
Top Bottom