Egg storage advice

Dandella-x

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Derbyshire
Hey there!

So my two little hens are laying and have been doing daily for the last 2 weeks. I just have one question, I have 7 eggs the oldest being from this Monday just gone and I've been washing them under water with my hands to rid of the poop etc, drying them off with kitchen paper and then storing them in one of those old hen egg pots. But I'm finding contradicting advice about how to store eggs and for how long and whether they are good still after being washed etc. Do I also need to date them? I'm new to keeping laying chicken flock so just need some advice!

Thank you!

First I would like to
welcome-byc.gif

And now for your egg storage. I wash my eggs in water to clean of whatever including poop that might have got on them from chickens feet. I then keep the eggs in my refrigerator. I use old egg cartons. They keep well refrigerated. If you keep them on your counter not refrigerated , ( my opinion ) try to use them within a week. Many people keep their eggs not washed in room temperature. Not washed eggs have that protective layer film from chicken. Those eggs stay safe longer, like maybe 2 weeks. IF YOU REFRIGERATE, YOU REMOVE THE DOUBT.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for the helpful advice I greatly appreciate it!! I have 7 eggs that I've washed down and have kept on the counter since Monday. Should I throw these? Or are they ok to use asap? Thank you!

I would say no if your are very nervous, for the eggs are fine in my books. I dont want to make you feel like im forcing you to do something you dont want. if you dont feel comfortable using them then by all means toss them to be safe. My self Im not too worried about bacteria on the egg shell. I thnk a runny yolk should be ok. I would be more nervouse to make mayo or egg nog with them.

its just a learning curve, before I read the info from the learning center on washing eggs I never knew refridgerated eggs can last more than two weeks. boy I couldnt belive how much waste I made, but hey I thought safer than sorry. I would strongly recomend looking at the egg washing and storing learning article here, I found it to be VERY helpful and relived alot ove my worries https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cleaning-and-storing-fresh-eggs. I have also relized that people on this site have tons of different opinons so take it all with a grain of salt! I was excatly where you are a few years back and am still learning! Have fun and enjoy those eggs!

Back
Top Bottom