How do you do the deed?

Mtnmomma3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
Sorry, if the title was too gory, but yikes! I've watched a few YouTube videos and am feeling daunted. I have some friends who are planning to help us on processing day, so they will help out, but do you prefer to chop off the head or cut the throat? Chopping seems more humane but since I've never done it to a grown chicken (just a mercy kill for a chick) I don't know.

Scientists think that the decapitated head can feel pain for a little while after the decapitation (about a minute tops, but still... it's not instantaneous). That's why personally I feel more comfortable with the throat slice. The knife does have to be incredibly sharp, but if you get it sharp enough, they don't react at all when you cut them, and they seem to just nod off.

Scientists think that the decapitated head can feel pain for a little while after the decapitation (about a minute tops, but still... it's not instantaneous). That's why personally I feel more comfortable with the throat slice. The knife does have to be incredibly sharp, but if you get it sharp enough, they don't react at all when you cut them, and they seem to just nod off.
X2

Poking the neck is the way I go. It not only is stress free but it will save your meat quality greatly. Do your research if you have never cut the arteries before. You will do more damage and stress if you just "wing" it. With proper research, you should be able to give the neck a quick poke (no cutting or slicing) and hit the right spot dead on. It will take time but it gets pretty easy.

We use a cone to hold the bird still and quickly slit the artery, like wildfiresmitty said it's more of a poke with the knife. I use a havalon knife with the replaceable razor blades. If done right it's over very quickly, and the bird bleeds out completely.

We use a cone to hold the bird still and quickly slit the artery, like wildfiresmitty said it's more of a poke with the knife. I use a havalon knife with the replaceable razor blades. If done right it's over very quickly, and the bird bleeds out completely.

This is what DH does, not only is it quick but when we first raised meat birds he would do the customary chopping the head off on the block then had to struggle to hold the bird, many birds broke wings and such. Whether they feel it or not that was a waste of meat and was not a clean kill. Since we have been using cones it has went much quicker with less trauma to the meat.
I have no doubt they feel it no matter which way the deed is done, what matters is that its as quick and efficient as we can make it. Less suffering for the bird and a home grown meal on our table.

Back
Top Bottom