small Cayuga

Gigglebox

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
I recently acquired a flock of 47 ducks, including 10 cayugas. I've only had them four days, but I'm noticing one of the cayugas is staying a little smaller than the rest. She also is rather "chill" in comparison to the others. I put her in a separate brooder (with two sisters) the night before last to see if she would get food for herself, and so she could get some without competition, in case that was what was going on. She ate and drank just fine, then kind of sauntered back to her sisters. I put her back with the others and she just kind of stands there. She doesn't look like she's struggling to get around, and I've seen her eat and drink with the others so I don't think she's being out competed. She huddles with the rest when I put my hand in the box but when I pick her up, she doesn't protest. Her eyes are bright and she appears alert. Should I be concerned or did I just end up with a smaller, chilled out duck?

Last edited:
Other than niacin, I haven't added anything to their food/water. What type of vitamins should I be adding? Are they necessary or just in this scenario?

Last edited:
I add poultry vitamins and electorates to the water of all new birds, week, or stressed birds, in very hot weather, and usually once a month (if I did not give it to them for another reason recently) I use one from mana pro. But have used save a chick and liked it as well, and you can get it at most feed stores.

I don't mean to scare you, but in my experience the little runts like this often don't make it. They are classified as "failure to thrive". The behavior is a little concerning to me (not running from you like the rest for example). They usually have some underlying medical issue that we really can't do much about unfortunately (kidney/liver issues, etc).

My last little runt sounded just like yours, he was a little male Cayuga. He seemed to stall out in size while his sister grew like a weed. He did eat and drink, but not as much as his sister did. He was always a little "off" though and alot more chill than normal. He passed away at 3 weeks old. :/

That said, some ducks really are just a little smaller than the rest and do just fine. Just want you to be prepared in case something happens. The vitamins was a great suggestion! I wish you luck with your little one. :)

Okay different theory here. How old is the duckling now? I recently got a shipment of 4 ducklings. 1 Cayuga and 3 Khaki Campbell's. They came as day olds. The Cayuga was significantly smaller then the Khaki's. My husband tells me that the Cayuga's are typically larger breed than the Khaki. I figured that the others were maybe a day older when sent.

They are now 7 weeks old. The Cayuga is larger then the Khaki's. Now that I've had both breeds I firmly believe that the Cayuga breed is much more calmer and non skittish in nature comparative to the Khaki's.

Of course we don't have as many as you. So just keep a watchful eye and do your best to make sure she gets her share of food and water.

Denise

Thanks everyone :) Orca, I wanted to clarify that she DOES run from me and huddle with the others, but she doesn't squirm much when I pick her up. My husband will be looking into getting some vitamins from TS tomorrow after work. She's still eating and drinking so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's just small! She's also the first and only one I've decided to name: Sweet pea :rolleyes: hopefully i didn't seal her fate by doing that...

Deester, they were all hatched on 4/20. There's another one who's similar to her size, but more active.

Gahhhh....I guess time will tell!

Thanks everyone
smile.png
Orca, I wanted to clarify that she DOES run from me and huddle with the others, but she doesn't squirm much when I pick her up. My husband will be looking into getting some vitamins from TS tomorrow after work. She's still eating and drinking so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's just small! She's also the first and only one I've decided to name: Sweet pea
roll.png
hopefully i didn't seal her fate by doing that...

Deester, they were all hatched on 4/20. There's another one who's similar to her size, but more active.

Gahhhh....I guess time will tell!

Ok, well that's good then! I really do wish you luck that she is fine and just small. :) Just wanted to share my experience and make sure you're aware that these things can sometimes indicate a problem. Love her name, btw!! ^-^

Thank you! Yes, i'm kind of expecting her not to make it long but I am cautiously optimistic...

Back
Top Bottom