What breed is this duckling?

Gigglebox

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
I picked up my last 5 ducklings today
yippiechickie.gif

The lady I bought them from says the plain brown ones are KC's, which is fine....but this last one...?
She claims it could be a rouen/KC, pekin/KC, or rouen/pekin (she thinks pekin/KC, but since I've had a better look at it now, I'm suspecting KC/rouen).

Here are a couple photos with it next to a KC.

Thoughts?

Thank you! I think so too ;)

Am I right to assume a pekin/KC mix would probably be a solid color duckling? That seems logical to me anyway....

These 5 guys are unsexed. i'm hoping this mix is a female, otherwise he will likely end up dinner :( No reason to keep a colorful mutt that may breed low-egg producing females. Plus, it would likely mate with a white layer or cayuga, making any offspring even more...mutty.

Thank you! I think so too
wink.png

Am I right to assume a pekin/KC mix would probably be a solid color duckling? That seems logical to me anyway....

These 5 guys are unsexed. i'm hoping this mix is a female, otherwise he will likely end up dinner
sad.png
No reason to keep a colorful mutt that may breed low-egg producing females. Plus, it would likely mate with a white layer or cayuga, making any offspring even more...mutty.

Not necessarily a solid color, the white in a Pekin can cover up any number of colors. I've seen a Pekin/Mallard mix that came out looking like a Black Swedish!

interesting! What did the ducklings look like? did it follow the same feather progression as a black sweedish? that is strange indeed...

if anyone was curious how she looks now :) she looks kind of stout only because her neck is a little tucked in.

Back
Top Bottom