Cornish x chick barely hanging on....

WIchickens

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
On day 3 of first run Cornish x....

I noticed this morning this 1 chick was a little smaller and slower than the rest. I put him by the water and dunked his head and hoped for the best. By this afternoon he was getting trampled on.

I just brought him inside and gave him some water with a syringe. That seemed to absolutely exhaust him. Then it just seems like he can't get his legs under him either, so band aided his legs together. Doesn't seem to be helping.

Now just laying there looking dead. But not dead, when I pick him up he wakes up.

Little a little advise....

On day 3 of first run Cornish x....

I noticed this morning this 1 chick was a little smaller and slower than the rest. I put him by the water and dunked his head and hoped for the best. By this afternoon he was getting trampled on.

I just brought him inside and gave him some water with a syringe. That seemed to absolutely exhaust him. Then it just seems like he can't get his legs under him either, so band aided his legs together. Doesn't seem to be helping.

Now just laying there looking dead. But not dead, when I pick him up he wakes up.

Little a little advise....
Hi WIchickens!
welcome-byc.gif

I am sorry your chick isn't doing well. I had the same experience with a new chick about a month ago. She seemed fine for the first few days of life, then exhibited the same symptoms you described. I ensured that being cold wasn't a problem, by providing a separate brooder for her (so she wouldn't get trampled), as well as syringe-feeding her water with electrolyte and probiotics. She, too, could not use her legs. It was a curious situation, because a few days before she seemed fine, just like the other chicks. She refused to eat once her health started going downhill, despite us offering soft foods like grits and mushed oatmeal. She finally loss the battle and passed. I called our hatchery to ask them if the chick's symptoms were unusual. They talked to me about splayed leg, but the chick clearly didn't have that. They also said that sometimes certain chicks are just weaker and don't make it. I know it's just a part of life, but it doesn't make it any easier to experience the loss. I hope your chick's story turns out better than ours did, but if it doesn't, it sounds like you've done all you can to help it. Best of luck.

Urgh. It died. Then I lost 2 more the same way tonight. I Brought them inside to their own brooder box and everything. Tried syringe of water and poly vi sol. They just puked it up and keeled over. I know these chicks are not as hardy as other but geez! I have never lost 3 chicks in a day!

sad.png
I'm so sorry. I forgot to ask earlier if your chicks were vaccinated for Merek's Disease? Now that you said you've lost a couple others, it makes me think there is a virus or bacteria being spread either through the brooder or from chick to chick. Merek's causes paralyzation in the neurological form. Here is an information sheet on Merek's Disease published by the cooperative extensions of the University of Connecticut and the University New Hampshire. Read it over and see if you think you might be dealing with Merek's.

Thanks for the info! The neuro presentation does fit what happened to those chicks yesterday. I do not believe they were vaccinated, I ordered them from the local feed store. That would definitely explain it!

To my surprise....everyone was up and running around this morning! Let's keep out fingers crossed that virus is over!! Next time I will look into the vaccination when I order.

Back
Top Bottom