Update on my Coop :)

annette964

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 2, 2015
Missouri
I finally got my coop "finished" for now lol. I thought I would post this update and thank everyone for their advice. As it turned out I didn't really have a lot of options on doing the interior, I am not a handy person at all and,although he thinks he is, neither is my husband. I am not complaining though as I am happy just having a chicken coop and now a run as well. I do, however, hope to be able to put in some added ventalation soon as I can already tell you guys were right it will be very hot inside in the summer. The Coop is 8 ft by 16 ft. The run is 12 ft by 36 ft chain link dog kennel with chicken wire stretched over the top. Since the run is not secure against all predators I close them up in the coop at night. I currently have 5 adult hens, 2 adult guinea hens, and 2 6 week old chicks. I have had them for about 2 or 3 weeks and have not let them out of their coop/ run area yet to free range. I am collecting 3 to 5 eggs daily and even the guineas are contributing to the egg count :)

The 2 nest boxes were bought at Orschelens and the 2 roosts are wooden trellis's that I bought at Lowes.

Anyway again Thank you everyone for our advice and just for letting me share my chicken news.

Nice job! We are utilizing a 10x10 pen for our new coop, too.
big_smile.png

I love your coop! Good job on allowing them so much space.

Just wanted to say if you have some heavier breeds of chickens I would try and add some 2x4 roosts. I have a Jersey Giant and I think she would break the trellis roost. Just a thought.
Marie

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I don't really have anyone to talk to about my chickens in person so I depend on online support ;) 16 Paws: I have wondered about wether or not that trellis will hold the bigger hens? I have seen my barred rockon on it a few times but I am sure she is a lot smaller than a Jersey Giant. Since I am wanting to get a Jersey Giant when I can find an adult hen for sale I will try finding something stronger than the trellis I currently have.

I was wondering how many chickens do you guys think I could comfortably house with my current setup? My coop is 8ft by 16 ft, my run is 12ft by 36ft. I currently have 7 chickens and 2 guineas. I am hoping to get 1 0r 2 blue egg laying hens, 1 or 2 more bantams, and maybe 1 or 2 Jersey Giants. Do you guys think that would be too many? I can and do plan on enlarging the run this summer but the coop is pretty well set in stone or should I say wood.

I'd say 30+ depending on the size of the breeds. You have a good sized run so you just have to create the roost space. I have an 8x12 but can only roost about 20 because I went with the single perch over board instead of the ladder style that can hold more but just requires more cleaning than I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom