What should I do?

Casper101Popcor

Chirping
Apr 13, 2015
CA, always with my chickens!
Sooo. I got two one week old chicks 4 weeks ago. One is a Dominique pullet, the other is a rooster, a hybrid I think. Well, we can't have roosters in our area, so that only leaves Casper( the Dominique pullet) still with us. She is ready to go I to the coop, and she needs some friends. I was going to get two other girls for her, but not her age. That means I have to wait until they can go into the coop, long after Casper is in there alone. What should I do so she doesn't get lonely? Is there a solution? Please help me if you can.

Please I really need help!
Well, I'll start by saying I'm new and definitely not an expert. But I do have a similar situation and this is what I did. I placed a mirror in her brooder/coop for when she is alone. She enjoys laying and taking dust baths in front of the mirror and seems to like it as she is always there when I check on her. I also spend as much time with her as possible especially when I'm doing gardening. She follows me everywhere...just not to where the others are. The mirror trick I got from reading the post from another BYC member. Good luck to you! Hopefully someone with more experience responds to your post. In the meantime, hope this helps :)

Sooo. I got two one week old chicks 4 weeks ago. One is a Dominique pullet, the other is a rooster, a hybrid I think. Well, we can't have roosters in our area, so that only leaves Casper( the Dominique pullet) still with us. She is ready to go I to the coop, and she needs some friends. I was going to get two other girls for her, but not her age. That means I have to wait until they can go into the coop, long after Casper is in there alone. What should I do so she doesn't get lonely? Is there a solution? Please help me if you can.
Do you have a chicken run in the coop? Once the chicks are a few weeks old you can put them out in the chicken run with a stable divider or in a dog crate on days that are warm enough and dry. It would depend on your weather, because you would not want them to get wet. That's probably the best way to start introducing them to the coop anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom