Duck Egg Help

chess0125

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2015
Utah
Yesterday was day 28. Momma duck has been sitting faithfully on her eggs the entire time (only getting up for about a half hour a day) It's been super cold here but with her on the eggs I figured they'd be fine. This morning (day 29) I went out to see what I could see, momma duck was sitting on the nest so I left. As I was turning around I heard her jump off to yell at me so I ran back to peek. There are about 15-20 or so eggs (rougly) and one duckling has hatched and is now dry and fluffy and incredibly tiny and sweet! It's holding its head up but is not attempting to walk (to give you an idea of age) but there are no other ducklings, and none of the other eggs seem to have holes or be moving as far as I can see from the other side of the fence. Are they duds? Did something happen? Or is it just too soon? I thought we'd have at least half that were going to survive hatched by now and another couple pipped and waiting. But there's nothing happening from what i can see (I have a view on the other side of the fence, from directly above the nest) What should I do?

Unfortunately the one duckling ended up dying, I'm not sure why but my best guess is the drake got it. Apparently you have to separate the drake...whoops...he's been separated now. Now, two days later, there are three new fluffy babies in the nest and boy are they cute! Still a bunch of eggs with no holes, and honestly there is an AWFUL smell coming from the nest - do I have one (or more!) rotten eggs? Or is it just a build up of poop from momma hanging out for a month? Peeking in the nest, eggs all have gigantic air sacks you can see without touching or moving them but that's all I can tell without touching. Will more hatch or is it just the three and a bunch of duds?? when will i know who's for sure not going to hatch and what do I do with any duds at that point?

Back
Top Bottom