Male or female Jubilee Orpington

JGivan

Hatching
Apr 28, 2015
Picked up two Jubilee Orpingtons straight run on Sunday

They're now five days old and I'm starting to think I have a male and a female. I live in a subdivision and a rooster would put me at risk of loosing my flock so I'm trying to anticipate what I have. I noticed one starting to get tail feathers and the feathers at the tip of the wings are bigger/longer. Any thoughts?

Welcome to BYC
Your little ones are too young to sex just yet - Jubilee Orpingtons are not a bird that can be wing sexed and 5 days old is a bit early to be using the difference in tail development, etc as an indicator. Post photos as they do grow and develop and we'll be happy to help you sort out the genders as it becomes possible to tell (besides, I like looking at Jubilee Orps)

Last edited:
I would not be any help anyway. These just caught my eye on the gallery feed. I've only seen adult Jubilee Orps and am really taken with the coloring of your chicks. How cute!

Well as long as ones a pullet I will be okay, after all that's why I picked up two. I assume if the one turns out to be a cockerel he'll be worth something, right?

Back
Top Bottom