Are portabello mushroom safe as treats?

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

I recently bought some yummy store bought mushrooms for a wonderful dinner I cooked up. Instinctually I put the few remaining ones that I didn't eat in the girls treat bin along with some greens and pepper scraps. My question is are store bought portabello scraps safe for chickens? It hadn't even occurred to me until I tried to find an answer on the internet this morning to which I saw a slew of answers. It is not something I would put in there again because I have read that they sometimes cause dietary upset- but just wanted to confirm that they are okay to eat.

Thanks so much!

Yes, along with most other things you can eat. Chickens are lactose intolerant so milk roducts will not be easily digested and may give them some abdominal distress or diarrhea. Too much sugar, salt or fat should be avoided, just as in people. And you should not feed chickens (or most animals) chocolate. Other than that, if you would eat it, they can, plus they will love your table scraps, melon rinds, etc. Here is our "treat chart::"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Thanks! This is a great chart- I reference it often- but didn't see mushrooms on it so I got really nervous. I would never want to feed them anything that would harm them or make them sick.

I really appreciate your help!

so ironically they didn't touch the mushrooms- my husband joked that they must take after his side of the family and not like them lol.

oh well live and learn- I will not be giving them any more mushrooms!!!

idunno.gif

I would think that mushrooms are not of much value to the birds, that could be why they ignored them. As a human one of the good things about mushrooms is that they have almost nothing calorie wise, so we can eat lots of them with little guilt.

But in the birds if they did eat a lot of them it would be taking away from the foods they need to eat to get their nutritional requirements filled.

Back
Top Bottom