Silver Laced Orpingtons (LF)

Pics

McCoyPoultry

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2015
Nashville TN
Hello everyone I am starting this thread to talk about Silver Laced Orpingtons! I have purchased a pair of these lovely birds and wanna share and discuss the genes and genetics so we can improve this color and make new colors with this color of Orpingtons :D I will be getting my Orpingtons in the mail in a week or so!

These babies are about 5-6 weeks old and one thing I've noticed with the birds I have is that they need improvement on their head shape...What is the best way to go about this? Can I cover some nice black hens with the SLO rooster? Or should I only breed SLO to SLO? Is this common amongst SLO since they are still relatively "new"...

Hello everyone I am starting this thread to talk about Silver Laced Orpingtons! I have purchased a pair of these lovely birds and wanna share and discuss the genes and genetics so we can improve this color and make new colors with this color of Orpingtons
big_smile.png
I will be getting my Orpingtons in the mail in a week or so!
Awesome! Thank you!!!

Has anyone else been drooling over Keith-orps' chocolate silver laced orpingtons? I would love to try to start working on this project, but I can't seem to get my hand on some Silver lace to start me off, but that is probably due to my limited highschooler budget operating on a part time job at a horse barn after school.lol

Has anyone else been drooling over Keith-orps' chocolate silver laced orpingtons? I would love to try to start working on this project, but I can't seem to get my hand on some Silver lace to start me off, but that is probably due to my limited highschooler budget operating on a part time job at a horse barn after school.lol
I'm a freshman in high school! I have made so many chicken friends that I have had the opportunity to get some of the best birds I've seen! That's why I'm trying get get a lot my colors so I can share with the rest of the U.S.! I also have a lot of supporters due to my age and they are surprised at my collection that I have since I'm only 16 lol

Hello everyone I am starting this thread to talk about Silver Laced Orpingtons! I have purchased a pair of these lovely birds and wanna share and discuss the genes and genetics so we can improve this color and make new colors with this color of Orpingtons :D I will be getting my Orpingtons in the mail in a week or so!

I am here! ;o) delighted to see a new Orpington thread. Can't wait to see your new silver laced pair! Hope lots of silver laced folks find this and chime in with opinions, and pictures!!

These babies are about 5-6 weeks old and one thing I've noticed with the birds I have is that they need improvement on their head shape...What is the best way to go about this? Can I cover some nice black hens with the SLO rooster? Or should I only breed SLO to SLO? Is this common amongst SLO since they are still relatively "new"...
Those are lovely! I have noticed some lines are more in-breed than others! I am trying to get more genetics in the pool! If you breed a Silver Roo to Black Hens I suppose that you will first get a black with some LIGHT lacing. But you will have to breed back to another Silver Roo to get lacing started! That's why it's a good thing to have more than one Silver Roo from different lines! I'm plan on adding more lines to my flock once I get these started and I get my chicken jar filled with money again! :D I would love for you all to help me with this color! Mine are around 7 weeks old once they get here!!!!

Last edited:
At that age it's really not best to be judging the head shape I've found.
You'd be better off waiting until maturity to make judgements on type because these birds make a lot of changes as they age.
I don't have a problem with the head shape of my breeding stock, that being said... I would vote that you keep the genetics purely Silver Laced to Silver Laced to reduce the problems of introducing genes you don't want (or don't necessarily know exist) when outcrossing to new stock.

Glad to be a part of this thread.
Here's some pictures of my birds!

Back
Top Bottom