Stressing chicks out

Nshorechicken

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Hello! I've got my first batch of baby chicks, a mix of orphingtons, barred rock and RLB wyandottes, as well as 6 bantams. I have been moving them around a lot and I seem to be stressing them out. They vary in age range but are all older than a week. Is it better to have them out in the shed at night where, even with lamps it gets cold, or bring their tub back and forth inside which stresses them out? I had 2 die after bringing them home so I don't want to lose more! I am currently treating a tiny bantam w pasty butt :(

How cold is it where you are? Mine have been in a shed since I brought them home, and the first week it was still getting down into the 30s at night. It's fine if the surrounding area is cold as long as they have a heat lamp or some type of warmer to go to.

It is in the 30's, still freezing at night and 60's during the day if we're lucky. That's good to know, they just look so cold in the mornings! Thank you

How cold is it where you are? Mine have been in a shed since I brought them home, and the first week it was still getting down into the 30s at night. It's fine if the surrounding area is cold as long as they have a heat lamp or some type of warmer to go to.

I'm worrying about the same. Thankfully our 4 bantam roosters were taken last night by a nice gentleman, so the girls (and possibly one roo) remaining have more room. They're in a garage enclosure.

We're in full-blown spring weather for Montana...30's and 40's at night, up to high 70's in the day. For me the limiting factor to keeping them in the garage is going to be the daytime heat. The coop is under construction (and the run) but not sure I'm ready to put them in there quite yet. Our young 3 are just 6 weeks yesterday, the older bantam girls are 8 weeks+.

We're going to put a light bulb fixture in the new coop and use a ceramic heating unit that you screw in like a light bulb as a heat source. One of my husbands co-workers uses that and his coop isn't insulated (ours will be) and it's worked well for them. It's for reptiles, but should work great for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom