Searching For Business Partner

Little Frisia

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015
I am a full time farmer and cattle rancher in south central Montana, located near the picturesque Yellowstone Park gateway town of Red Lodge and I want/need to start incorporating chicken and turkey grazing in to my rotations.

I am searching for someone interested in starting an entrepreneurial venture of raising USDA Organic, Heritage, and Free Ranging Chickens, Turkeys, Geese, Ducks, or Quail. I'm not particular to any species as I believe they all would have an excellent impact on organic soil fertility and pest management for my pastures.

I have about 4,500 acres to graze, mostly dry-land grass mixes, so there would certainly be room to grow should this be successful.

As I plan on continuing my role as a rancher, this venture would largely be the partner's sole operation. I could contribute business operations such as marketing, legal, and accounting, but I would not be able to contribute daily labor, and this would be a full time job for that person.

If you are interested or know someone who is, please contact me or share my name and number with them.

Thank you for your time.

Colt James

Boy I wish I weren't on the other side of the country..I've managed several horse and cattle farms/breeding operations locally and have been doing poultry on my personal farm for the last couple years.. someone out there is getting a great opportunity :)

Thank you CrzyChknLady81, I appreciate the kind remarks.

And you are right, it will likely take relocating here full time unless I can find someone local. Given our state's population is around 1.1M, I doubt finding anyone local will happen. I don't even know where to look or how to search for someone with this interest in this area. This forum on this website is my first stop.

I would think, and maybe I am wrong, but the partner would need to be here in the winter and spring months to breed, hatch, and grow the poultry to feed, graze, and process in the summer and fall months. Maybe I should try to search out universities where either a risk-taking ambitious young entrepreneur would want to get a start. Maybe I need someone retired who is adventurous and willing to move to Montana... I don't really know yet.

Any suggestions you can give I would be grateful for.

Best Regards,

Colt

Are you in contact with your state's Dept of Agriculture? Here in WV, the state puts out a publication called The Market Bulletin and that's where most of out bigger farmers put an ad when they need help..be it horse training, alpaca farms or poultry. . I don't know that every state put their own out, but our state will also let people run ads on their website, but usually those end up being surplus hay.
Another place to get in touch with would also fall under your Dept. of Ag but more specifically the 4H and FFA members. They will be youth/young adults but personally, around here, that'd be someone's best bet and it would give a youth a foot in the door but that's where you'll find someone with the drive and motivation to suceed.
You could also try your state thread here on BYC, at least get word out there..
The only other thing I could think would be ads on the store bulletins of area feed/farm stores..probably not as good a chance of hitting a lot of people that way (our store's bulletin in clear in the back, by bathrooms so unless you know it's there or have to go to the bathroom while you're there, you're not seeing it) but you only need the one right person to see it ;)
Best of luck..hope you're not long in your search :)

If my dad knew the first thing about poultry, he'd jump on this, just for an excuse to move to Montana. .he's been looking for a good one for years..he may be in his upper 50s, but he works circles around younger generations..he has been dealing with cancer tho and just getting some weight and energy back, but any given day you can find him weedeating on their farm, splitting firewood via no log splitter, just an ax and maul..

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I wish him a speedy recovery.
And when he does, the gate will be open for him to try his hand at chicken grazing up here!

Back
Top Bottom