expired canned veggies for chickens?

zachbelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
I am cleaning out the home of someone who passed away and have come across tons of expired canned goods, now I know technically they are still safe for a while after the date on the can but I'm not sure how far passed the date they are safe, I'm wondering would it be okay to feed any of it to the chickens? Just veggies the soups etc I don't think would be a good idea. Some of the dates got back to 2008 which I assume to be tossing but there are some that are from 2013 and 2014...thoughts on feeding to chickens and ducks? Cans are in good shape not dented or swollen

Well, if I knew the person used safe canning techniques, I'd be eating it myself, so yeah it should be fine to feed to your birds.

Thanks I was thinking it would be okay, but I just wanted a second opinion. I will have some very happy birds in the morning!

I have eaten professionally canned foods decades past the date with no bulges. dents ect...just open carefully look and smell for funkyness and if it looks and smells good feed away...I just finished eating c rations from the second world war (beef stew and orange nut cake were my favorites and these even came with cigarettes) I was gifted a truck load from a closed Military surplus store ...If I would eat it I would feed it to my chickens.... I hate to waste food....but understand I am way to the extreme from most people.

Last edited:
Sorry, misunderstood.

I never think to check dates on store bought canned goods. As Athena said, use common sense on the cans. If they're intact, the contents should still be good no matter how old they are.

Ok great thank you by the sounds of it some of them may be going into my pantry!

Back
Top Bottom