Help interpreting Houston, TX city ordinance concerning Fowl

otsm739

Hatching
May 19, 2015
To make a long story short I want to keep some quail inside city limits and I'm not sure if I can.

Sec. 6-31. - Location restrictions for fowl.

(a)
It is unlawful, except as provided in sections 6-33 and 6-34 of this Code, for any person to keep, possess or maintain in the city any chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pea-fowls, or any other bird or fowl, except parakeets, canaries, parrots, cockatoos, macaws or similar birds, or any pens, enclosures, or other structures in which any such fowl are kept or possessed within 100 feet of any actual residence or habitation of human beings, or within 100 feet of any church, school or hospital, other than the residence of the possessor or owner of the fowl, the distance to be measured in a straight line from the nearest point of any pen, enclosure, or other such structure in which the fowl are kept to the nearest point of the actual residence or place of human habitation, or church, school or hospital.
(b)
Any enclosure or structure located outside of a residence that is used to contain fowl and satisfies the distance requirement set forth in subsection (a) of this section shall be constructed in accordance with any applicable standards and requirements set forth in the Building Code.

To make a long story short I want to keep some quail inside city limits and I'm not sure if I can.

Sec. 6-31. - Location restrictions for fowl.

(a)
It is unlawful, except as provided in sections 6-33 and 6-34 of this Code, for any person to keep, possess or maintain in the city any chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pea-fowls, or any other bird or fowl, except parakeets, canaries, parrots, cockatoos, macaws or similar birds, or any pens, enclosures, or other structures in which any such fowl are kept or possessed within 100 feet of any actual residence or habitation of human beings, or within 100 feet of any church, school or hospital, other than the residence of the possessor or owner of the fowl, the distance to be measured in a straight line from the nearest point of any pen, enclosure, or other such structure in which the fowl are kept to the nearest point of the actual residence or place of human habitation, or church, school or hospital.
(b)
Any enclosure or structure located outside of a residence that is used to contain fowl and satisfies the distance requirement set forth in subsection (a) of this section shall be constructed in accordance with any applicable standards and requirements set forth in the Building Code.

Can you please go ahead and copy/paste the referenced sections 6-33 and 6-34?

Sec. 6-33. - Keeping for commercial purposes.
It is unlawful for the owner of any geese, ducks, turkeys, chickens or other domestic fowl or rabbits or guinea pigs, where the fowl or animals are kept for sale or commercial purposes, to allow the fowl or animals to roam in open pens on the ground; but the owner may keep the fowl or animals for sale or commercial purposes, provided he keeps the fowl or animals in batteries or coops arranged inside of buildings in a sanitary condition, and he shall remove all droppings from the buildings, batteries or coops at least once each day, and disinfect and deodorize the buildings, batteries or coops at least once each day.

Sec. 6-34. - Keeping for public showing.
Notwithstanding anything in this article, it shall be lawful for any person to keep, possess and maintain chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pea-fowls, guineas, rabbits and guinea pigs for the purpose of a legitimate showing of the fowl and animals for purely public exhibition, provided the conditions set forth in this article are observed.

Reading that as long as your Quail pen is at least 100 feet from your neighbors house, school, church, or hospital you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom