geese and pairs

jbugw

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Michigan
We got 4 sebastopols goslings recently- 2 pairs, 4 weeks old now. We lost one yesterday, We're not entirely sure what happened but our newest dog was found with it. Based in this and some previous behavior as well as our inability to contain the dog in a fair and safe manner we will be re-homing him. I feel bad, Anyway, we haven't checked yet to see what the sex was. My question is what are we suppose to do now? If it was a boy that would mean we would have 2 girls and boy surviving. We figured that would be ok right? But if it was a girl would the remaining girl be ok with 2 boys? We can pretty much only buy them in pairs and we weren't planning on getting any more but if we are left with 2 boys and a girl would getting another pair be sufficient in taking the pressure on the surviving girl? What are we suppose to do here? Most people locally will only sell in pairs but I have already started looking for someone who will sell a single goose/gander.

We got 4 sebastopols goslings recently- 2 pairs, 4 weeks old now. We lost one yesterday, We're not entirely sure what happened but our newest dog was found with it. Based in this and some previous behavior as well as our inability to contain the dog in a fair and safe manner we will be re-homing him. I feel bad, Anyway, we haven't checked yet to see what the sex was. My question is what are we suppose to do now? If it was a boy that would mean we would have 2 girls and boy surviving. We figured that would be ok right? But if it was a girl would the remaining girl be ok with 2 boys? We can pretty much only buy them in pairs and we weren't planning on getting any more but if we are left with 2 boys and a girl would getting another pair be sufficient in taking the pressure on the surviving girl? What are we suppose to do here? Most people locally will only sell in pairs but I have already started looking for someone who will sell a single goose/gander.
I'm very sorry for your loss. My suggestion would be either find out what the sexes are of the ones you have and if you have 1 gander 2 geese your doing great, if on the other hand you have 2 ganders one goose either get in touch with your contact about getting a mate for the one gander so you will once again have 2 pairs. That would take alot of pressure off the remaining female if that was the case. Or you could start looking for potential mates but you'll have quite a while before next breeding season to find that perfect one.

Back
Top Bottom