Page's keep jumping - Video ads on sidebar

jimandkira2002

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
I have no idea what is going on. Almost every time I try and load a page after a min or so it keeps jumping to the bottom of the page and wont let me go to the top. I cant read any forms and I have trouble writing anything. It takes me having to copy and reload a couple times to get finished with a post because I cant get the page to stay where I need it. Is anyone else having this issue? I have tried closing all windows and even restarted my computer (its not happening on any other websites) so I don't think its my computer.

Please see the information here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/troubleshooting-byc-problems-bugs-error-messages-other-issues

If none of those things help, please come back to this post and reply with all the information requested in that article above, especially:

1) Which browser and version are you using (eg., Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 7, etc.)
2) Have you deleted your internet cache / browser history of files and tried again?
3) Have you tried a different browser? This allows you to test if it is a browser specific problem vs. a computer / network problem. We suggest Google Chrome or Firefox.

These videos are playing havoc with my forum experience. To the point that I literally can't take advantage of your content. As I attempt to scroll down through your site they automatically cause my browser to jump back up to a point where the video ad is visible. Making it impossible and very annoying to try to read any content. The pause doesn't work when I try to stop the video to continue reading the thread.

Does anybody else experience this? Is there a way to disable this?

I won't be able to visit this site until this is taken care of. I think it's hard to believe this is just an issue with my computer.

Thanks

I just started a thread with a similar issue. I think it's the video ads to the side causing this! I'm using google chrome and really don't think it's my computer causing the issue but the pop-up-style ad causing it.

The video ads are the devil (but I do understand the need for them from a supporting the site standpoint) -- one option is to upgrade to a golden feather membership and then you can turn the ads off.

I definitely understand the need for ads :) and if i'm not willing to fork up the dough to keep them away then I'm not allowed to complaign! :)

however, I think they need to know that it's actually keeping me from reading anything on most pages... it's not all the time oddly enough....

I'm using GoogleChrome, and I'm having the same problems. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to be annoying.
Same here-Google Chrome. The thread will jump in the middle of posting and reading so that the ad is within the screen, and I definitely did not run the cursor over the ad. Then the audio will go on unexpectedly at times (usually the Cannon camera ad).

Update, I just went to the link you provided @Nifty-Chicken and the page was jumping down to the video ad. I would scroll back up to continue reading and then it jumped back down. I closed the tab and returned to the link, and it then it started playing audio for 2 different video ads at once. This has been going on for a couple of days for me, so it is not based on any particular URL. I will shut down my computer and comeback later today to find out if that helped.

Another update: I checked BYC on the other computer also using google chrome, and audio started playing on home page but did not skip to bottom of page. Then when I checked a thread it started jumping to bottom of page to the ad repeatedly after a couple of minutes without the audio going on. It seems to be a problem with more than one browser so I am not going to try that fix. I will try trouble shooting more when I have more time.

Last edited:
OMG! Last night I walked away from my computer and then noise started blasting from it. It startled me! Lol

Back
Top Bottom