Growth question

tlouiselle

Chirping
Mar 15, 2015
At what age will a chick generally reach it's adult size? Not maturity, but size.

The reason I am asking this is because we have an adorable serama cockerel who discovered his little crow. I am looking into into those no crow collars as a temporary solution but want to know if I need to anticipate a larger size if he is not finished growing. TECHNICALLY we are not supposed to have chickens where we live (but people on our street all have them).

We are house hunting in the next few month to move to a more rural area. I would hate to have to rehome him when we are a few months from moving where I can keep him.

Right now I bring him in at night and cover him so he won't wake the neighbors...it helps but the second he hears me in the morning he starts crowing (and angers my husband when he wakes him from his beauty sleep). He also does this when he is outside and hears, but can't see me :-(

They don’t stop growing for a long time. A cockerel will normally end its fast growth spurt around 20 to 23 weeks, different ones maturing at different rates. But they will continue to grow until they are maybe a year old, the rate just slows down. Even after that they continue to add some body weight, not getting taller but thickening a bit.

If you put anything constricting on them you like the no crow collar or bands or zip ties around their legs for marking don’t ever assume they have totally stopped growing. After they are a year old it’s normally not that much of a problem, but keep checking them regularly just in case.

Thank you. Yes, I will check him probably on a daily basis. As I said this is just a temporary solution. He is so sweet and such a good guardian for our silkie and showgirl chicks. He watches over them, takes care of them, protects them from our few other egg layers. I don't want ot lose him :-(

Back
Top Bottom