Meaties too fat at 2weeks?

wvhomesteader

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
I have 16 Cornish X chicks that were hatched May 4 so they're kust over 2weeks old.

They are starting to feather out and we are enjoying them very much. However, my husband thinks they may be growing too fast. We are aware that they are meant for rapid growth, but we had another batch of CX that didn't seem this meaty this soon. They're very fleshy and run around great. They eat and poop fine. They're good with their brooder mates. For as much as I can tell, they're happy and healthy. The only part that concerns me is that one side of their breast seems to be maturing faster than the other. All 16 of them are this way so I am guessing it's no big deal.

Are we just over reacting?

Here are some pics of our 18 day old chicks.

I can't really tell from the photo... But it sounds like their poor little crops are just full! Do you already have them on grass everyday? Are you feeding anything other than bag food? Their crops are filling up you need to offer them some grit (no calcium. Sand usually does the trick) to chew their food with.

If you put your fingers on the larger growth and it feels odd...like a tumor...this should fix them right up.

It fees fleshy like the rest of them. I'd liken it to a full water ballon.

Do you just mix the sand in their food?

No, they're not on grass everyday. They just go outside every so often when the weather is nice. We had them out yesterday so we could clean the brooder.

You can mix coarse sand with their food, or offer it in a separate dish, they will usually get just what they need. They will only need it when they eat something other than their usually food. Usually the crop will go down in size over night, if it doesn't check out articles like this: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html?m=1

Your description makes it sound like crop, because it sits over the front of the breast and does enlarge as they eat. Their usual chick feed is water soluble and digests without the need for grit. Hope that helps!! If it doesn't go down it could be something different.

I will just keep them in for now. Thanks for the help.
I noticed on my other chicks (layers) they had a similar protrusion but smaller so I think you're right about the crop.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom