Possible cause for white eggs from brown layer

IdahoPrepper

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2015
I was mystified when my bird started laying white eggs. About 4 days into it I needed to refill their water jug. When I opened it the smell would have knocked you off your feet. The inside of the jug had become sour with something and the smell was really bad. I washed it with a soap and sponge and bleach. Filled it with fresh water and today I started getting brown eggs again.

Hope that helps someone...

Very good point. You really need to keep the water fresh. They probably got some mold out of that which affected the egg color. You are lucky it wasn’t much worse. Fresh water is one of the most important things you can do to keep them healthy.

I had a white egg layed by a 2 yo BO recently just after coming off being broody and researched the issue. Any stress can cause it, here's link to a great article on egg issues: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Glad you found the problem and have cleaned the water jug. You can put a little ACV in the water ( a tablespoon per gallon) to help avoid algae, but some say it's helpful others say not to do that all the time. I keep 2 water founts - one in use and one clean for changes - rinse and change water every day and wash it well weekly and doubt this will be an issue in the future.

Here's hoping we both have all brown eggs in the future :)

Well I thought we had it solved but I got more white eggs. Then out of the blue I started having more egg issues with other birds. We got eggs with big crusty bumps, red crusty rings, pink eggs or off color, bleached out looking eggs and last we had eggs that tapered from dark to light. When I looked up eggs issues I found that all my problems had "stress" or food imbalance related (poor nutrition/excess calcium). Since I had recently changed to a local farm based non-gmo-organic I concluded that was most likely the problem. We switched them back to the old food and within 2 days all eggs were back to normal. The page also said too much calcium could be the issue. But again the old food solved the problem.

20 eggs problems with pics........

https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

Last edited:
Great Chart! Thanks!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom