What breed would best suit my needs?

Wheeks

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I am looking to add a goose or two to my flock. I've got a bunch of chickens including bantams, and a handful of Indian Runner ducks. I want something that will be friendly to me, friendly to the flock, produce a bunch of yummy eggs, and isn't going to be huge or very loud.

Chinese are the way to go as far as eggs but are noisy. they are a smaller breed aswell. I wouldn't advise keeping any goose with your other birds as they can be mean expecially to a small bantam. I have three geese, two chinese and one embden they all are around 8 weeks old and have since started nipping at my year old runners and pekin if they get too close. I wanted the same thing as you , to be able to keep everyone together but I don't think it's going to workout when the geese get older but this is my experience. I think you will love geese though they have such a personality so give them a try.

Last edited:
If you want a goose to be friendly (which is the most important in my opinion, since you have other birds to produce eggs) I would say an Embden, Buff, or Toulouse. These breeds are extremely calm and all of mine are pretty friendly. Chinese produce the most eggs but they are EXTREMELY loud and not the nicest. I would advise getting more than one, they're much happier with their own kind.

If you want a goose to be friendly (which is the most important in my opinion, since you have other birds to produce eggs) I would say an Embden, Buff, or Toulouse. These breeds are extremely calm and all of mine are pretty friendly. Chinese produce the most eggs but they are EXTREMELY loud and not the nicest. I would advise getting more than one, they're much happier with their own kind.

x2 on the Embden they are calm and friendly.

Chinese geese lays a large amount of eggs and are smaller, but they aren't necessarily friendly. For a more friendly goose, try the American Buff. Very friendly breed.
Sebastopols are heavy and large geese, but lay more eggs than an American Buff. They are also considerably friendly.

I don't agree with this:
Embdens aren't usually friendly to other smaller breeds of ducks and geese.
I DEFIANTLY agree with the Toulouse though. I have a very sweet *little*(not really) girl who loves to be held. She would never harm a fly and lives peacefully with all of the other geese.

Chinese geese lays a large amount of eggs and are smaller, but they aren't necessarily friendly. For a more friendly goose, try the American Buff. Very friendly breed. 
Sebastopols are heavy and large geese, but lay more eggs than an American Buff. They are also considerably friendly.

I don't agree with this:
I DEFIANTLY agree with the Toulouse though. I have a very sweet *little*(not really) girl who loves to be held. She would never harm a fly and lives peacefully with all of the other geese.

You said you didn't agree with what I said but you literally said exactly what I said.. Except for the small animal thing.

I don't agree with this:

you won't find a breed that will be perfect for all needs but what I think Carrosaur was saying embdens are friendly to humans which they usually are. I would think any bird large in size would take advantage of that by being agressive to smaller birds.

you won't find a breed that will be perfect for all needs but what I think Carrosaur was saying embdens are friendly to humans which they usually are. I would think any bird large in size would take advantage of that by being agressive to smaller birds.

OP didn't ask for a breed friendly to cats and small birds, she said friendly to HER.

I'm am REALLY SORRY to cause a rift, but here's eggxactly (pun intended) what Wheeks said:
I am looking to add a goose or two to my flock. I've got a bunch of chickens including bantams, and a handful of Indian Runner ducks. I want something that will be friendly to me, FRIENDLY TO THE FLOCK, produce a bunch of yummy eggs, and isn't going to be huge or very loud.
Please don't be mad, I'm just trying to help!

Back
Top Bottom