Two week old chick has bluish grey feet

SunshineChick14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
One of my RRC hens was able to hatch out 8 chicks (3 yellow, 5 black), and now they are about two weeks old. I just noticed today that one of the yellow chicks has bluish grey feet. It is also acting tired/listless, and doesn't join in with the other chicks when they play. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
We accidentally fed them layer ration the other day, but I took it away as soon as I noticed. Would this cause the blue feet at all?
I was also thinking it might have something to do with poor circulation or being too cold?
I can post a pic if it will help.
Thanks!

-Sunshine

Please post a pic..

First, I don't think the food was a problem, second, I realize you're in BC, what temps are you still having?

Are you feeding them electrolytes and/or vitamins and/or probiotics?!?

We use this on all new hatches for 2 weeks or so:

Last edited:

Here's a pic of the chick (right), and its sibling on the left. You can see a major difference in the colouring of their feet.

@kyexotics, the temperatures have been warm lately, around 15-20C, and I have kept a heat lamp on all night for them. Plus they have their mother hen for extra heat.
I haven't been feeding them with anything other than chick starter, and grass since I let them outside to forage for about half the day on sunny days. I've also added some apple cider vinegar to their water, about 2 Tablespoons ACV to 1 quart of water.

Last edited:
She looks like she has grown (feathered) and her comb looks nice and pink so she she should be ok. If she is being raised by a broody hen she shouldn't get too cold as she will go to mama for warmth.

@hannahchicken, yeah that's what I had figured also. I don't think it has to do with being cold, since the broody hen keeps all the chicks warm. But I am still wondering why exactly this chick's feet and legs have turned greyish. Maybe that's its colouring? Before, though, the legs were normal-coloured, like the other chick in the pic. I hope it's got nothing to do with any disease... Still, rather strange.

My Easter Egger girls have had legs that color since they were babies. Unless there is some other cause for concern, chalk it up to "chickens come with many different leg colors."

I did notice you said it's acting tired, but then it CAN be normal for one chick to be less hyper than the other chicks, so unless it isn't eating/drinking/pooping normally, I really wouldn't worry.

Make sure they're getting the right feed, give extra vitamins or probiotics if you will feel better doing so. Some people swear by putting raw organic apple cider vinegar in their water. I've tried it, it has never hurt anything. ;)

Hmm, ok! Thanks for all the input. Maybe it does just have a different leg colour :) I have been giving the chicks apple cider vinegar in their water, and they are all eating and pooping normally, so I guess this one is just different coloured and that's all. That would sure be a relief! I'll be keeping an eye on it, just in case, but I do think it is fine. Thanks again for all your help/comments!

Back
Top Bottom