Canada Goose Thread

I got 2 Canada goslings right now and wondered if anyone knew some stuff about them...

Way more than I should!
37ff47120d2bad7c3317dd9b65842718.jpg

I think one of my goslings have a type of splay leg, his legs are constantly spread out to far from each other and can barely walk without falling down. He stumbles often trying to keep his body off the ground. Because of this he lays down a lot. What should I do to help it, I put string on his legs to keep them from spreading apart for a week but no progress

He flew away last summer. Yes, he. He, for sure, because hr showed off his lovely corkscrew to my husband and I that spring. But, he just wandered around the neighbors, found a horse pasture and grazed. When I saw him, he ran up to me, alone for 6 months, so u brought him home and clipped his flight feathers. I then introduced him to our chickens ans ducks. He took command and now doesn't even pretend to fly like he did before he left. He is happy to finally have a flock of his own to boss around. If you have any more questions please ask away! We have had him since he was about a week old. And now he is over 2 yrs old, has a gf of another breed, and goslings raised by me. He is also boss of 5 chicken hens, a rooster, 5 duck hens, a drake, a turkey hen, tom, 7 poults, and a lady goose.

I think one of my goslings have a type of splay leg, his legs are constantly spread out to far from each other and can barely walk without falling down. He stumbles often trying to keep his body off the ground. Because of this he lays down a lot. What should I do to help it, I put string on his legs to keep them from spreading apart for a week but no progress
He may need some brewers yeast added to his feed gosling can have a niacin dif and it causes leg problems such as losing balance not being strong in their legs so try adding some Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast to it's feed all will benefit if you have more than the one gosling showing symptoms. use 1 tab to 1 cup of feed. GNC or whole foods carry Nutritional and Brewers yeast, but don't use baking yeast.

Look at this link there is info on making the hobble https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
He isn't doing any better my dad said that if he doesn't start walking in a few more day we r gonna put him down, he can't get to food or water without assistance. His left leg is limp and unusable. I don't want to put him down but I don't want him to suffer.

He isn't doing any better my dad said that if he doesn't start walking in a few more day we r gonna put him down, he can't get to food or water without assistance. His left leg is limp and unusable. I don't want to put him down but I don't want him to suffer.
Could the leg be broken? very sorry.

No the leg isn't broken...

oh my gosh!!!! He's standing, he's standing!!! He's a bit wobbly in one leg which is stretched out far to the side but the other leg is straight like it is supposed to!!! He took a step!!! YEAH OH MY GOSH! $$

Back
Top Bottom