enlarged and hardened crop

hannahchicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
I have been letting my 3 week old babies outside on the grass and dirt for short periods of time completely supervised. There hasn't been a problem but I can see three or four of them with HUGE crops. I felt them and they are pretty solid feeling and VERY VERY firm. I massaged them a little but nothing seems to help. They have chick grit, are eating normally, drinking water, etc.. I haven't seen one poop very recently but did this morning (around three hours ago). Should I watch to make sure they are pooping?
What should I do? I know that an impacted crop kills tons of birds.

I did offer them feed mashed into a paste with water this morning and they ate that until I wool it away. Could it be they just ate a lot? I didn't think this was the reason because it is such a soft food.

update: I tried to massage some more and it feels almost "moldable". Like I press on it and my fingers leave indents on it exactly the way i press it. She is eating though.

I am a first time chick owner, and this happened to one of my polish babies that was a little younger than yours at the time. Every time I massaged it, it molded just like you said. I kept an eye on it, and made sure to sprinkle grit on their food, and now she is 4ish weeks old and is still thriving. I think (in my experience) that they just eat so much, that sometimes it seems that it is ALWAYS full, even when everything is just fine. As long as she is eating and drinking, I would say that is a pretty good sign.

As long as they are pooping ok, and drinking and eating, I wouldn't worry too much. Both full grown and babies will fill their crops. Takes the gizzard time to grind it all down. Just keep an eye on them. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

This happened to one of my chicks who is the same age too! I was so worried but I bought pedialyte and it when down...don't know if that help it or it did it on its own but that was my experience!

Back
Top Bottom