Bully Hen

jdgbirds31

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I have 6 new chicks, around 3 months old now, and my ONE adult hen is bullying the heck out of them. They have all been sharing the same space for about a month now. Started with them separated but in the same area and then moved to everyone together. The daytime isn't so bad bc we have a big run and do a lot of free ranging, but at night she won't even let them on the roosting bars. They will all be sharing one of the two bars - so she would have one all to her self - and she still kicks them off. Will this get better or should I be looking for a new home for my bully hen?

Big chickens pick on smaller chickens - chicken society can be cruel. As long as she is not causing physical injury to the chicks, I would allow them to work things out.

Chickens pick on other chickens, no matter the size or age......
....who knows what the parameters are, something to do with flock status('pecking order'),
but someone is almost always picking on another one and some are 'meaner' and more vicious than others.

Especially at roosting time. Best bet is to have several separate roost options.
In this situation, and I have just gone thru this (again), I put up another roost and it solved the problem.
Things may change when the youngers start laying, but for now they need another place to sleep.
Unless the 'bully' is drawing serious blood or pinning down/trapping and doesn't stop pecking, let them work it out.

Things during the day are getting better. But still no one else is allowed on the 2 roosting bars besides the one hen. But she isn't hurting anyone so I guess I'll just let it go? The way our coop is, there is no space for a new roosting area.

Back
Top Bottom