How to tell?

I dont know how. But hatcheries do it so there is a way. Good luck and I hope others respond
1f600.png

Yes, there is a way that's about 90% effective - however it is strongly, strongly recommended that none of us try it at home... it takes lots and lots and lots and lots of practice to learn how to do it right and if you try to do it you are likely to injure or kill your chick. It involves opening and looking inside their genital area. Please don't try to do it!

Wait until the hackle ( neck) feathers come in. If they are pointed at the ends, it is a cockerel.
If they are rounded at the ends, it is a pullet.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Not quite. They were a little mistaken i would be easier with a full body pic. Head, legs and side r easiest to tell boy or girl.

The pointed hackle and saddle feathers don't start coming in until about 12 weeks old. Under ten weeks of age, how red and developed the comb is, is the best indicator of male or female. Also if a chick starts trying to crow, it is obviously a cockerel.

The pointed hackle and saddle feathers don't start coming in until about 12 weeks old. Under ten weeks of age, how red and developed the comb is, is the best indicator of male or female. Also if a chick starts trying to crow, it is obviously a cockerel.

X 2 - the various characteristics can mean different things depending on the age of the bird being looked at (ie comb/wattle that would mean cockerel at 6 weeks can easily be a pullet at 16). With GLW and SLW, the pattern of the plumage is one indicator as there are differences in the way in which a female and male will feather in - though the poor markings often seen in hatchery stock can make this less of a reliable tell. Generally speaking, as the chick matures you can get a pretty good "read" on things between 6-10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom