HELP NEW CHICK INJURED!

ksrygler

Songster
8 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Avoca, indiana
I had two eggs hatch today. One was dead and one chick has a pretty deep cut on side of head close to her eye. I have her inside now with heat lamp, but.... What do i do to clean it and help it heal? So far i just used a warm wash cloth and very small amount of very mild soap. This got straw and dirt. I must have marked the.Calender wrong because I thought they still had 5 days. I only found them when preparing to move the brooding hen to desperate area. Please any advise would be great. I feel awful and really would like to save this chick if possible. Thanks

I just got in and saw your plight.
By now you have seen the cut closing or not. Your cleaning was a good idea. If the chick is still Alive, leave it under the heat and watch it. Dip it's beak in water about room temparature and do as you would a person. Talk to it. This will help soothe the poor creature. If you are concerned, imagine how it must be trying to cope. Go ahead and talk to it.:)

I have talked to it, cooed to it, cuddled it, and prayed for the poor thing all night. I will try the water right now. I put a stuffed animal in the bin with it for the night and and when I checked a few min ago it was cuddled up with it and calm. Thanks so much for your reply.

Dip the beak every 4 hours. Dip twice lightly each time. It is not so critical after it becomes active. What you are doing is better for it than you realize. When it gets active, it will find the water on its own. Right now you are showing it you care. That is what a Hen's clucking does.;)

Back
Top Bottom