EMERGENCY gosling attacked by dog

sarroo

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
He is about 6 weeks old, a husky attacked him, he has a puncture from one of the dogs teeth under his left wing, it's been two hours and he hasn't made any noise or moved, and his breathing is very heavy. He may be ok with staying put because he's held a lot and sleeps in my lap often, but it's been two hours and from experience with chickens being attacked, they either died by now, or were up and walking around. I can't take him to a vet until morning because the only vet near me with an emergency number isn't answering and it's storming out. Please please help, he means so much to me. Is there anything I can do?

He is about 6 weeks old, a husky attacked him, he has a puncture from one of the dogs teeth under his left wing, it's been two hours and he hasn't made any noise or moved, and his breathing is very heavy. He may be ok with staying put because he's held a lot and sleeps in my lap often, but it's been two hours and from experience with chickens being attacked, they either died by now, or were up and walking around. I can't take him to a vet until morning because the only vet near me with an emergency number isn't answering and it's storming out. Please please help, he means so much to me. Is there anything I can do?
How is your gosling doing now? if he has only one puncture wound and it's in his wing just wash it real good and put some kind of antibiotic ointment on it nothing with pain med in it though. Look him over real good though wounds can hide real well in all those feathers. What your seeing is most likely shock so keep him warm and quiet with fresh water close with a poultry vitamins in it. Just give him sometime and hopefully he'll come around it really is amazing how water fowl can come back from some pretty bad injuries.

The wound was under his wing, on his back. It looked like a fairly deep hole. He started talking and stood up around 2am, the only vet that would see geese said on the phone that they probably wouldn't be able to do much for him so there wasn't point in bringing him in. Thankfully manny's acting much better, eating, drinking, I gave him probiotics and put some 'emt first aid' ointment on the wound and so far it looks good. His breathing is still a bit labored and he lays down more often than normal. But I guess he's going to be ok.

The wound was under his wing, on his back. It looked like a fairly deep hole. He started talking and stood up around 2am, the only vet that would see geese said on the phone that they probably wouldn't be able to do much for him so there wasn't point in bringing him in. Thankfully manny's acting much better, eating, drinking, I gave him probiotics and put some 'emt first aid' ointment on the wound and so far it looks good. His breathing is still a bit labored and he lays down more often than normal. But I guess he's going to be ok.
That is good news. Hopefully he'll be good as new in a couple days. main thing now is making sure to keep the flies out of any wound or you'll be dealing with maggots not something you want to deal with.

Do you know who's dog it was? you have every right to protect your animals from predators.

Unfortunately, it's my brothers dog. So there's not much I can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom